I can’t really explain all my feelings because the course was amazing. I want to say thank you for all the new language and skills I learned.
Anastasiia, 14, Russia
English with Style
‘How to be a confident and successful young woman’
For girls aged 14 to 17
English with Style is the ideal programme for ambitious young women who are looking for something different for their summer: a unique international programme that combines personal development with amazing experiences that challenge and inspire students from around the world! We aim to help raise girls’ confidence and, through teaching, discussion and debate, we contribute to their preparation for the world of the young adult. This experience is invaluable for university, internship or job applications.
Founded in 1899, Heathfield is a school which combines tradition with twenty-first-century education and facilities, and whose motto is ‘Girls First’. Many past pupils have become highflying business women, lawyers, academics, artists and designers or work in journalism, theatre and film.
English with Style is a special programme for the older teenager who wants to explore British and global culture, and develop her creativity and potential to shape her world. Through fun but inspiring activities, such as a chocolate meditation or a t-shirt design challenge, team events, and making presentations, the programme aims to develop critical thinking, leadership skills and teamwork. Students learn to communicate effectively in formal and social situations while improving their fluency in English.
Students learn about British life, enjoy two trips to London and have seminars and workshops on wellbeing, education and global issues as well as practical sessions ranging from art and design to cookery. Our emphasis is on having fun with friends whilst going on a journey of self-discovery.
The English with Style week costs £1750 including all lessons, workshops and activities, three trips with entrance fees, accommodation, meals, airport transfers and travel insurance.
English with Style takes place in the final week of the International Summer School 4-week course. Attending one or more weeks of General English and Activities before the course is advisable. Places are limited and the course is always full so early booking is advised.
The course will be led by university lecturer Dr Emma Newport with classes, workshops and seminars taught by Heathfield teachers and outside professional tutors.
The course includes 15 hours of English – General English in classroom lessons and special groups with one group always at an advanced/fluent level. All other activities will be aimed at improving girls’ understanding and use of English in everyday and formal situations.
Students must have a spoken level of English that is good Intermediate or higher, 5 plus on IELTS, Cambridge First Certificate level or B2 on the Common European Framework.
B2 describes a student as an independent learner who: Can understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics. Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party. Can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.
If a girl is booked on the course and her English is not of the correct level, we reserve the right to keep her in the General English course and no refund of the difference in fees will be made.
Innovate and Inspire
This is our English with Style theme. Example activities include:
Culture & Education
- Theatre visit – a London show
- Fashion, Art & Design – a workshop and visit to a top London design or art museum followed by free time to explore the cultural heart of the UK
- Developing campaigns on current issues such as climate change, fast fashion and social media
- Debate and discussion of global issues with girls from the UK
- Technology and Innovation – video making, photography, technology and the future
- Studying in the UK – introduction and practical support
- Standing Tall – confidence, body language and social strategies
- Communication – verbal and non-verbal tools
- Preparing and making presentations
- Critical Thinking
- Modern social management – for socialising, further education and the workplace
Living Well & Style
- Style and Design workshops – choosing your colours
- Mindfulness and relaxation techniques
- Cookery – create a delicious tea party, Ascot style
- Flower Craft – designing and making floral decorations
- Skin care – skin analysis, facials and light make-up with beauticians from SpaceNK
- Wellbeing evening – yoga and pamper sessions
- Sports and the fitness suite
- English with Style Welcome Evening
- Course Booklet
- End-of-course photo session, followed by dance and farewell party
- Final Report and Certificate