Heathfield has all the things that a girl like me loves! I love my class and all the activities, especially the discos and my friends are great. The staff and Assistants also made me feel at home. I LOVE Heathfield!
Adriana, 10, Spain
I am a College lecturer during the year but I’ve been teaching at Heathfield for quite a few years: it’s simply the best-run, most professional and happy language school I’ve taught in.
Introduction to Heathfield Summer School
Heathfield School started its own English language international Summer School 40 years ago to offer overseas girls a fully residential course providing education and pastoral care to the same high standard as the main school.
Students enjoy a well-balanced programme which comprises 20 English lessons (15 hours’ tuition) per week in the mornings, three weekly excursions and an exciting range of activities in the afternoons, evenings and at weekends. The fully inclusive fees also cover all meals, accommodation and laundry, Saturday Heathrow transfers, comprehensive travel insurance, textbooks, stationery and full responsibility for the student.
Older girls, aged 14 – 17, who have a good level of English can also enjoy a week on our wonderful English with Style course which, in addition to lessons, includes British culture and etiquette, fashion, style, life skills and well-being. It is designed to help young women develop confidence and poise and extend their linguistic fluency.
To help girls settle in and make friends, on arrival they join a House – a group of girls of different nationalities and ages with their own House staff. Together they do activities, put on shows and take part in sports competition. A lot of girls return for three, four or more summers and we even have daughters of former students attending now. Some of our very best students go on to become Student Assistants and staff.
Since 1987 Heathfield Summer School has been accredited by the British Council. Our latest inspection was in 2016 and the report summary says: Strengths were noted in the areas of staff management, student administration, quality assurance, premises and facilities, learning resources, academic management, course design, teaching, care of students, accommodation, leisure opportunities, and care of under 18s. British Council Report Summer 2016.
Why choose Heathfield Summer School?
- Girls only – a unique course where we can offer lessons and activities which girls love and where great friendships flourish
- Serious study of English – a real school with high educational standards
- Meeting British girls – Summer School students and UK Summer Campers mix together in activities so there are plenty of opportunities to speak English
- A mixed nationality course – over 30 nationalities attend our truly multi-cultural summer courses and become part of Heathfield’s international family
- First class care and welfare – the staff to student ratio is 1:6, a school nurse and housemothers are always on duty and safety and security are priorities
- Student Assistants – our specially chosen former students help welcome and look after the girls throughout their stay
- Exciting trips – Ascot is conveniently situated for London, Oxford, Windsor, Stratford, Bath and Brighton
- Activity and creativity – a great and varied range of sports and activities is available every day
- A small, private school – we have excellent staff continuity and give personal service to girls and their parents
- Beautiful, safe location – the original country house is set in tree-lined, spacious grounds and has the addition of excellent, modern facilities
I love the House Competitions, the International Shows, the Speak Dating and the Big Conversations – all are great ways to work with different people, to make new friends and learn about different cultures. I wish I could pack Heathfield into my suitcase and bring it home with me! Thank you for giving me such unforgettable memories these last four years and another place to call home.
Joyce, 16, Hong Kong