I can’t really explain all my feelings because the course was amazing. I want to say thank you for all the new language and skills I learned.
Anastasiia, 14, Russia
English with Style 2021
‘How to be a confident and successful young woman’
For girls aged 14 to 17, Saturday 31st July to 7th August
English with Style is the ideal programme for ambitious young women who are looking for something different for their summer: a unique international programme that combines personal development with amazing experiences that challenge and inspire students from around the world! We aim to help raise girls’ confidence and, through teaching, discussion and debate, we contribute to their preparation for the world of the young adult. This experience is invaluable to university, internship or job applications.
Founded in 1899, Heathfield is a school which combines tradition with twenty-first-century education and facilities, and whose motto is ‘Girls First’. Many past pupils have become highflying business women, lawyers, academics, artists and designers or work in journalism, theatre and film.
English with Style is a special programme for the older teenager who wants to explore British and global culture, and develop her creativity and potential to shape her world. Through fun but inspiring activities, such as a chocolate meditation or a t-shirt design challenge, team events, and making presentations, the programme aims to develop critical thinking, leadership skills and teamwork.
Students learn about British life, enjoy two trips to London and have seminars and workshops on well-being, education and global issues as well as practical sessions ranging from art and design to cookery. Our emphasis is on having fun with friends whilst going on a journey of self-discovery.
The English with Style week costs £1615 including all classes, workshops and activities, three trips with entrance fees, accommodation, meals, airport transfers and travel insurance.
The course begins on the evening of Saturday 31st July, after an afternoon trip, and departures are on Saturday 7th August. Places are limited and the course is always full so early booking is advised.
The course will be led by university lecturer Dr Emma Newport with classes, workshops and seminars taught by Heathfield teachers and outside professional tutors.
The course includes 15 hours of lessons and seminars covering British culture, history and current affairs plus a busy programme of specialist workshops and activities. Overseas Summer Camp girls will be in an advanced/fluent speaker level group. All lessons and activities are aimed at improving girls’ use of English in everyday and formal situations including making presentations.
Innovate and Inspire
This is our 2021 English with Style theme. Example activities include:
Culture & Education
- Theatre visit – a London show
- Fashion, Art & Design – a workshop and visit to a top London design or art museum followed by free time to explore the cultural heart of the UK
- Developing campaigns on current issues such as climate change, fast fashion and social media
- Debate and discussion of global issues with girls from the UK
- Technology and Innovation – video making, photography, technology and the future
- Studying in the UK – introduction and practical support
- Standing Tall – confidence, body language and social strategies
- Communication – verbal and non-verbal tools
- Preparing and making presentations
- Critical Thinking
- Team building
- Modern social management – for socialising, further education and the workplace
Living Well & Style
- Style and Design workshops
- Mindfulness and relaxation techniques
- Cookery – create a delicious tea party, Ascot style
- Flower Craft – designing and making floral decorations
- Skin care – skin analysis, facials and light make-up with beauticians from SpaceNK
- Wellbeing evening – yoga and pamper sessions
- Sports and the fitness suite
- English with Style Welcome Evening
- Course Booklet
- End-of-course photo session, followed by dance and farewell party
- Final Report and Certificate