I can’t really explain all my feelings because the course was amazing. I want to say thank you for all the new language and skills I learned.
Anastasiia, 14, Russia
English with Style 2018
‘How to be a confident and successful young woman’
For girls aged 14 to 17, Saturday 4th to Saturday 11th August
English with Style has been designed for girls to learn more about British life and culture and to enjoy workshops in well-being, modern manners and style while developing their fluency in English. We aim to help raise girls’ confidence by teaching them life skills and contributing to their personal development in preparation for the world of the young adult.
Heathfield was founded in 1899, originally to educate daughters of the upper classes, and over the years it has been home to young ladies from some of the world’s best known families, including daughters of royalty. Heathfield is now a school which combines tradition with twenty first century education and facilities. Many past pupils have become highflying business women, lawyers or academics, are artists and designers or work in journalism, theatre and film.
English with Style costs £1400 per week including all lessons, workshops and activities, trips, airport transfers, accommodation, meals and travel insurance.
The course begins on the evening of Saturday 4th August and departures are on Saturday August 11th. This is the final week of the International Summer School 4-week course. Attending one or more weeks of General English and Activities before the course is obligatory. Places are limited and the course is always full so early booking is advised.
Courses and workshops will be taught by Heathfield teachers and outside professional tutors.
The course includes 15 hours of English – General English in classroom lessons and special groups with one group always at an advanced/fluent level. All other activities will be aimed at improving girls’ understanding and use of English in everyday and formal situations.
B2 describes a student as an independent learner who: Can understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics. Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party. Can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options. If a girl is booked on the course and her English is not of the correct level, we reserve the right to keep her in the General English course and no refund of the difference in fees will be made.
Activities from the following list will be included:
Culture & Education
- Theatre visit – a London show
- Fashion, Art & Design – a workshop and visit to a top London design or art museum followed by shopping time
- British history and literature
- Feminism in the 21st century
- The British education system – a guidance session for anyone interested studying in the UK
- English with Style booklet and final report
- Cookery – create a traditional English Afternoon Tea
- Skin care – skin analysis, facials and light make-up with beauticians from SpaceNK
- Well-being evening – yoga and pamper sessions
- Team-building – strategies to develop confidence
- Sports and the fitness suite
Life Skills & Style
- Style and Colour Fashion workshops
- Modern manners and skills – for socializing, further education and the workplace
- Flower Craft – designing and making floral decorations
- Walk Tall – how to make your presence felt
- English with Style end-of-course photo session
- Dress to Impress disco dance and end of course party